RTNN Education and Outreach
The Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network’s (RTNN) education and outreach programs include:
- All facilities in are open to public tours. As part of these tours, we include demonstrations of equipment and hands-on activities to engage the audience.
- Through the RTNN remote access program, participants can also utilize facilities remotely by interacting with RTNN students and staff. Samples are first sent to our facilities. Fabrication and characterization are then performed on-site and streamed live to the remote users. RTNN staff and students are available to describe the equipment and answer questions throughout the process.
- To assist K-12teachers, we have also developed lesson plans for K-12 classrooms that engage RTNN facilities and specifically map to STEM education standards.
- The RTNN is also planning an REU program to support student work focused on characterization at the nanoscale.
- A nanotechnology MOOC is in development and will be launched in early 2017.
- RTNN also offers several technical workshops and short courses throughout the year and provides a free nanotechnology workshop to community college educators on an annual basis.